SMYRNA, Del. (AP) — A Delaware Department of Correction official says two officers and an inmate were hospitalized last week for inhaling noxious fumes released by a cleaning solution found in a shampoo bottle.
The department's deputy bureau chief of prisons, Paul Shavack, said Thursday that the officers were searching 38-year-old Tyrone Norwood's cell on Friday when they came across the mixture and inhaled its fumes. The three were treated as a precaution.
Shavack tells The News Journal of Wilmington that Norwood has since been charged with institutional violations for dangerous contraband and now awaits a disciplinary hearing on the matter. He says the chemicals used in the mixture are available within the facility.
All contents © copyright 2019 Associated Press. All rights reserved.